Day 91: 6 February 2026
Short Story -- Monkshood Manor: Part 24
The next morning, back at Monkshood, Teddy didn’t have any plans. She stretched her arms over her head and then swung her feet out of bed and into a pair of very soft and warm slippers and made her way to the bathroom to get ready for the day.
Half an hour later, she emerged and headed to the kitchen.
She walked in expecting to find Althea, if anyone. So she was surprised to see a man sitting at the large work table. He had grey eyes and a salt and pepper moustache. Even though he was inside, his cap was on. He was wearing coveralls and boots.
‘Hello,’ said Teddy uncertainly.
‘Hm,’ the man grunted in greeting.
‘Are you waiting for Mrs Winter or Mr Drey? I assume they know you’re here?’ Teddy continued uncertainly.
‘Let myself in,’ the man said brazenly.
‘Oh!’ Teddy wasn’t sure if she should be worried. Also, how had he let himself in? Don’t they lock the manor? Note to self, Teddy thought, check about that. Then she thought specifically towards the house, Please find Mrs Winter or Mr Drey for me.
‘I’m lookin’ for work,’ the man said.
She was surprised that it felt like he was glaring at her.
‘I see,’ Teddy started. ‘Well…’
At that moment Mrs Winter strode in.
‘Explain yourself!’ she demanded, brandishing a broom.
The man scowled. ‘As I just explained to this one, I’m lookin’ for work.’
‘And you think that gives you the right to just enter a home without welcome or permission?!’ Althea exclaimed. ‘No wonder you don’t have a job.’ She’d set the broom down, but it was still within easy reach. ‘And what sort of work precisely is it that you purpose to do?’
The man shifted. ‘Whatever needs doing.’
‘And your references?’ demanded Mrs Winter.
‘Isn’t there a man I can talk to?’ the man enquired. ‘A head of the house, sort. Someone who’ll know what they’re talking about.’
Teddy could practically see steam coming out of Mrs Winter’s ears.
‘I’ll have you know that I manage this house. If — and it’s looking like a very slender if at that — you were to work here, you’d answer to me,’ Mrs Winter said vehemently.
‘I see,’ the man said.
‘So? The references?’ Mrs Winter queried again.
‘Don’t have none,’ he said. Then a wicked smile crossed his face. ‘You’ll just have to trust me.’
‘Nope,’ Mrs Winter replied. ‘Out.’ She pointed to the door.
They hadn’t even gotten his name.
But the manor had locked him in.
Comments
Post a Comment