Day 184: 10 May 2026
Journal
I've always had an assorted taste in reading. For the past few years it's mainly included: fantasy (specifically cosy fantasy, some romantasy, a sprinkling of urban fantasy, and any sort of fantasy-mystery combo), cosy mysteries, travelogues, a bit of historical fiction, and the occasional thriller (I'm looking at your Lucy Foley) or lit fic.
When in Dublin, I decided to only get books by Irish authors. I got four total: Leonard and Hungry Paul, Evenings and Weekends, The Green Road and Glorious Exploits.
I started Leonard and Hungry Paul while we were there. I just really liked the cover -- very minimalist with the title in simple lettering and a fish. When I first picked it up, I thought Hungry Paul was going to be a fish. But even before I decided to buy it, I'd learned that he was a character. It's a story about adult male friendship between to very gentle fellows who are also very different from what society typically expects men to be. And I found it to be a very gentle and amusing and beautiful read! I've now finished it.
Evenings and Weekends is set in London and also looks, essentially, like a character study. It was on the shelf of books recommended by the bookstore's employees. The Green Road is set in coastal Ireland and looks at family. Glorious Exploits, admittedly I'd heard of and was curious about before travelling to Ireland as I'd heard it recommended to Cillian Murphy via a Booksta video of an interview between Cillian Murphy and an avid reader. It sounds funny! I am quite excited to read all of these!
(Although currently, I am reading a fantasy book that I started before we left. I say started. I'd read one chapter. It, too, is very good. The second book in a series that I started last year by an author who I've read a couple of things by and enjoyed! And this one is also VERY good. It looks at thinks like racism, class, and breaking stereotypes, along with being true to oneself. All great themes and messages in my opinion!)
But I can't wait to jump back into the Irish author books!
Comments
Post a Comment