Day 124: 11 March 2026

 Short Story -- Monkshood Manor: Part 30


‘I’m sorry for the other day,’ Mr Millings said quietly standing next to Teddy and looking down at his tea. ‘For just leaving like I did.’ He paused. ‘It’s just… I knew what the Inspector would find, at least in regards to my family, if he went looking in the records. And I know what sort of man Arthur was.’

Teddy looked at Mr Millings. ‘You are not responsible for anyone’s behaviour but your own,’ she said gently and he looked up. ‘And I think you are a real man of character.’

Now it was his turn to blush.

Across the room, Lady Genevieve and the Inspector were both standing next to the side board.

‘Nice spread that Althea lays out,’ he offered.

‘Now, now, Inspector,’ Lady Genevieve said smiling mischievously, ‘You didn’t come over here to talk about Althea’s food.’

He looked uncomfortable and pulled at his top button.

‘You deal with criminals,’ she continued completely aware of what she was saying, ‘Do don’t be shy around me.’

He squared his shoulders. ‘You lady spies are an impressive bunch! But you’re right. I shouldn’t be daunted. I should like to call on you at some point, if you’re game.’

She smiled. ‘Why Will, I never thought you’d ask!’

He turned ever so slightly red.

‘It’s about time too!’ Althea crowed in delight.

‘What is?’ asked Teddy as she and Me Millings walked over.

‘Will here, after having a crush on Genevieve since he was a young buck, has finally told her!’ Mrs Winter smiled.

‘How wonderful!’ Teddy exclaimed happily.

Mrs Winter now turned and looked pointedly at Mr Millings. ‘Anything you’d like to share with the group?’

‘Ummmm,’ he was turning red. ‘Not that I can think of.’ And he stuffed a sandwich in his mouth.

Genevieve laughed.

Mr Reed and Mr Drey walked over.

‘Seems a lot of joviality over here,’ Mr Reed said smiling, standing next to Mrs Winter.

‘Love is in the air,’ Mrs Winer said with satisfaction.

‘Is it now?’ Mr Reed asked, raising his eyebrows.

‘Not me, you old fool!’ Mrs Winter exclaimed slapping his shoulder with both fondness and irritation. ‘The young people.’

‘You’re not so old, Althea,’ Mr Reed teased. ‘There’s still time for you to find that special someone.’

‘And it won’t be anyone here, I assure you,’ she said pointedly.

‘Noted,’ Mr Reed nodded seriously.

Awhile later the guests were leaving, some alone and some in pairs.

‘What a wonderful group of people,’ Teddy thought contentedly, smiling. And it seemed the house agreed. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 21: 28 November 2025

Day 15: 22 November 2025

Day 1: 8 November 2025