Day 122: 9 March 2026

 Short Story -- Monkshood Manor: Part 28


With the strangeness of everything, Teddy decided to settle into the comfortable arm chair in her room by the fire and keep reading Eve’s journal. 

When she’d last read, it was certain Arthur was fathering a child with the maid, Maribelle, if you could call it fathering. He clearly wasn’t interested in being a father and it’s unclear whether or not there had been consent. And it seemed possible to Teddy that he was also the father of Lucy’s child, if Lucy was indeed missing the Season because she was pregnant. 

I can’t believe my parents think this a solution or a help to Maribelle! I mean, I can, because I know them. But I am absolutely livid about their behaviour none the less. But let me back up. Apparently, after I told mother about Arthur, she sought out Maribelle to offer her a sum of money — large for Maribelle but not large enough in my opinion — if she would keep quiet about the baby’s father and leave our village. The nerve! Maribelle is understandably even more distraught. Her father is kicking her out. She feels she has no option other than to accept the money. And my parents think this rights all the wrongs. Unbelievable! 

Later. 

I’ve received another letter from Maribelle because I asked her to please keep on touch. But so that my family doesn’t get too in a tizzy I’ve told her to sign her letters from Mabel. The one that arrived today shared that she’s given birth! A healthy and robust baby girl. She’s named her Ann. I have a niece! I’ll be sending a few small presents on the sly this week, just some clothes and toys. 

Teddy continued reading. About an hour later, she came across:

I came across Lucy in London this afternoon. She was leaving Harrods with her aunt while I was arriving with my cousin. I barely recognised her! She is so incredibly thin and ashen. She’s aged years in the time she’s been gone. I tried to ask how she’s been but she kept her head down and her answers simple. It was almost as if she was afraid of me. But I also noticed tears silently running down her face when she looked up briefly at her aunt’s call. I must make sure to invite her to tea. Something is amiss. And I’m guessing it’s related to Arthur. The scallywag. 

Teddy looked up and rubbed her eyes. 

It was starting to get dark outside. 

The rest of the journal would have to wait for another day. Teddy wasn’t sure she could take any more scandal. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 21: 28 November 2025

Day 15: 22 November 2025

Day 1: 8 November 2025