Day 88: 3 February 2026

 Short Story -- Monkshood Manor: Part 23


The day for tea with Lady Genevieve had arrived.

Teddy was just pulling around the meticulous circle at the top of the drive in front of the house. If you could call it a house. It was twice the size of Monkshood and gleaming.

Teddy got out of the car and tentatively walked up the few steps to the front door. It was actually double doors, each twice as wide and three times as tall as she was. She reached for the giant brass Lion’s head knocker…

When the door opened.

‘You’re here!’ a stunning blond exclaimed with glee.

Teddy stood stunned, hand still raised.

‘Come in! Come in!’ the blond ushered.

As Teddy stepped into the foyer she gasped. Light filled the cavernous space. It was four stories high and had a glass ceiling. The floors were black and white checkered marble.

A maid was off to the side.

Teddy took off her coat and handed it to the maid who disappeared with it.

The blond was smiling at her. ‘I can already tell that you’re delightful! Mrs Winter has told me so much about you!’

Teddy smiled genuinely at the mention of Mrs Winter. ‘I hope she didn't get too carried away.’

‘I’m Genevieve,’ the blond said smiling. ‘Com with me.’

‘Teddy.’ And she followed her.

They made their way to a cosy, comfortably filled sitting room on the ground floor of one of the turrets. Each sat in a plush red armchair in front of the fire. Tea, sandwiches, and cake had already been brought up.

‘So,’ Lady Genevieve started. ‘How are you finding Monkshood?’

‘How much as Mrs Winter told you?’ Teddy queried.

Genevieve steepled her fingers and leaned forward, blue eyes sparkling. ‘Pretend I know nothing. Who knows what you may have picked up on or noticed that she didn’t?’

‘Have you met Mrs Winter?’ Teddy asked incredulously.

‘Humour me,’ Genevieve said laughing. It was a richer sound than Teddy had been expecting.

And so Teddy did. She talked about the first journal, seeing the man by the tree, being followed in and out of town, the break in, Lord Tottington and finally the second journal.

Genevieve listened intently, fingers still steepled. When Teddy finished she said, ‘There’s something fishy about that Lord Tottington.’

‘Especially now that he’s disappeared,’ Teddy added.

‘Indeed.’ Genevieve appeared deep in thought. Then said, ‘Let me do some digging. Both about the disappearance of Lucy Pemberton and about’ and she said this next bit in a stuffy nose up sort of way, ‘Lord Perceval Tottington.’ Seeing the look on Teddy’s face she added mischievously, ‘No one gossips like the wealthy. They’ve nothing else to do with their time. And they love scandal as much as the next group.’

Genevieve then switched topics. ‘Now that that’s out of the way. Tell me your thoughts on Monkshood and about your plans.’

‘It’s an amazing place!’ Teddy said eagerly. ‘Although it needs quite a bit of work. I’ve had Mr Millings over to take a look and needless to say his list of necessary improvements is both long and daunting. But my hope is to turn it into a school — including for the children in the village — and an orphanage. There’s so much space!’

‘Not interested in turning lady spy then?’ Genevieve asked, half teasing.

Teddy laughed. ‘I’ll leave that to Mrs Winter.’

That made Genevieve laugh as well. ‘To be honest though, your plans sound wonderful! The children have needed a school there for so long! And any orphan that found his or her way to Monkshood would be considered lucky. How can I help?’

‘Seriously?’ Teddy asked surprised.

‘Of course! What’s the point of having money and influence if you can’t throw it behind a good cause?’ Genevieve said genially.

‘Both would be appreciated! I feel so out of my depth. And although my Great Aunt did leave me some funds… after talking to Mr Millings I see just how short I am. I’ve been thinking of doing it in parcels based on need.’

‘Very logical!’

‘And Mr Millings said he’d also talk to the local parish to see if they’d be able to contribute anything at all.’

‘He’s a good man, Mr Millings,’ Genevieve said.

‘Do you know him?’ Teddy asked a bit surprised.

‘Only by his reputation as a contractor,’ Genevieve admitted. ‘And what Mrs Winter has said. Sadly I am not here often or long enough to know the villagers as well as I’d like.’

‘Work?’ Teddy broached.

‘Indeed. I’m more useful as a socialite in London.’

Teddy could see how that could be the case. 
‘Do you like being a spy?’ Teddy asked.

‘You know, I’m not sure anyone’s ever asked me that before,’ Genevieve said while she thought about her answer. ‘I like getting to meet ambassadors and professors and diplomats. I find them interesting. I find most of their thoughts interesting, even if I don’t agree with all of them. But sometimes, I find it tiring pretending to be less than I am capable of in order to lull everyone into a sense that nothing could go wrong.’

Teddy considered the answer. ‘I suppose most things have their pluses and minuses; and the goal is for the pluses to outweigh the drawbacks.’

‘Indeed,’ Genevieve agreed. ‘And for me, they do.’

Switching topics again, Genevieve asked, ‘If I may, Teddy, what did you do and where were you before Monkshood?’

Teddy knew this question would come up eventually. ‘I worked as an au pair. I’m an orphan myself, although I didn’t become one until I was sixteen. I’ve had a passable amount of education and am decent with languages. I needed a practical way to make money for myself… and watching and teaching others’ children seemed the answer.’

‘Very practical. I like it,’ Genevieve said. ‘You’d make an excellent lady spy if you ever want to add that to your resume.’

Teddy laughed.

The next hour passed pleasantly. Although different from each other they got on smashingly.

As the clock chimed, Teddy stood up. ‘Thank you so much for having me today. It’s been a pleasure making your acquaintance.’

‘The pleasure had been all mine!’ Genevieve said affably. ‘Come see me in London some time.’

Genevieve walked Teddy to the foyer, where the maid was already waiting with her coat.

After final goodbyes, Teddy got back in her car and started the drive back to Monkshood.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 21: 28 November 2025

Day 15: 22 November 2025

Day 1: 8 November 2025