Day 108: 23 February 2026
Short Story -- Monkshood Manor: Part 26
Mr Drey walked in with both the Inspector and Mr Millings.
The Inspector went immediately to the broken doors, while Charles stopped next to Teddy.
‘Are you alright?’ he asked her quietly.
She nodded.
Mrs Winter spoke up, ‘Teddy, here, thinks the man was Lord Tottington in disguise.’
The Inspector turned to look at Teddy, ‘What made you think that?’
‘Something about his mannerisms and voice,’ Teddy answered. ‘But I’m not 100% sure.’
‘How sure would you say you are?’ he asked.
‘Maybe 75-80%?’ Teddy ventured.
‘But you didn’t notice this, Althea?’ the Inspector asked turning towards Mrs Winter.
‘Not at the time,’ she admitted. ‘But after Teddy said something, I’m sure she’s correct. She’s a clever girl. And there was something about his voice.’ She paused, then added. ‘He was certainly enough of an…’
The Inspector jumped in. ‘Good enough. As you both know, he disappeared from his estate.’
The room went quiet for a minute, everyone thinking their own thoughts. Mr Millings walked over to assess the damaged doors as well.
Teddy then spoke up. ‘The question then is: Is he still after the diary? Or is there something else in the house he wants?’
‘And why did he want the diary in the first place?’ the Inspector mused aloud before stopping himself.
‘I’ve been reading them,’ Teddy offered. ‘I found a more recent one. It appears that at least one previous heir was quite a scoundrel.’
‘How so?’ asked the Inspector.
‘He apparently had dalliances with several local women of various classes,’ Teddy said. ‘Or he forced himself on them. Or both.’
The Inspector nodded thoughtfully. ‘I believe I’ll stop by the church on my way back to the station. I’ll let you know if I find anything.’
‘The church?’ Teddy asked.
This time Mr Millings jumped in. ‘You’re going to look at birth records.’
‘I am indeed,’ said the Inspector. ‘Anything else?’
They all shook their heads.
‘Mr Drey?’ he said.
And the two of them left the room.
‘Well, I think all of this calls for some tea and cake,’ Mrs Winter announced. ‘I’ll be back in a jiffy. Please, do join us, Mr Millings.’
And winked at Teddy and left the room.
Teddy felt the colour rising to her cheeks. But Mr Millings hadn’t seemed to notice.
‘What do you think?’ she asked him. He was still assessing the damaged doors.
‘I have some wood in my truck,’ he suggested. ‘I could board the up for now, until we can get glass ordered?’
Teddy sighed. ‘That seems a practical solution.’
‘I know you’re worried about the cost and excited for the school and orphanage,’ he said. ‘It will come.’
A thought caught Teddy’s attention. They hadn’t called him about the door. ‘Charles, what brought you here?’
‘Oh,’ he said still looking at the door. ‘I’d talked to the priest at the church about helping with funds and talking to the parishioners. He’s on board. I wanted to share the news as soon as possible.’ He blushed a little.
Teddy smiled. ‘I’m glad you did.’
Mrs Winter walked back in, a heavily laden tea tray in hand.
‘Don’t just stand there gawking, young man,’ she gestured to a nearby chair, set down the tray and sat down herself.
Teddy found herself pouring everyone tea and then perched gently on the arm of Me Millings’ chair. Mrs Winter winked mischievously again.
Mr Millings stood up. ‘Please sit,’ he offered her his chair. ‘I’ll go and get the tools and the wood.’
Comments
Post a Comment