Day 85: 31 January 2026

 Short Story -- Bob and Reg


One pigeon was sitting on the top of a roof when another landed next to him.

‘’Ello Bob!’ said the second pigeon.

‘’Ello Reg,’ said the first.

‘Whatcha doin?’ asked Reg. ‘

‘Just sittin’ here and thinkin’,’ said Bob.

‘Whatcha thinkin’ about?’ asked Reg.

‘The vastness of the cosmos and how little of it we actually get to see,’ answered Bob.

‘Hmmmm,’ said Reg. ‘Deep.’

Bob turned to Reg then. ‘And what are you doin’?’

‘I was flyin’, saw you here and thought to myself: There’s old Bob. Might as well go say ‘ello, and here I am.’

‘Hmmmm,’ said Bob. ‘You think I l’m old?’

‘It’s a manner of speakin’, Bob,’ said Reg. ‘It’s not meant to be factual. How can you be contemplatin’ the cosmos and not know that?’

‘You calling’ me daft?’ asked Bob.

‘No,’ answered Reg. ‘Just pointin’ out the juxtaposition.’

‘I’ll put your juxt in a position,’ said Bob really starting to get riled now.

‘Hey now! No need for name callin’ or that!’ exclaimed Reg, who was also starting to get riled.

‘I’ll say whatever I want!’ retorted Bob stretching out his neck and wings.

‘Then so will I!’ exclaimed Reg doing the same.

Whap!

Whoompf!

Wap! Wap!

Whoom!

Wings were flying and the two birds were jumping a bit to try avoiding getting hit themselves while striking at their opponent.

Then something caught the corner of both of their eyes and they paused. A leaf skittering across the pavement below.

‘What’s that?’ asked Reg.

‘Reckon we could eat it?’ asked Bob.

‘Don’t know,’ replied Reg.

‘Shall we fly down and have a look?’ queried Bob.

And the two pigeons flew off the roof together.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 21: 28 November 2025

Day 15: 22 November 2025

Day 1: 8 November 2025