Day 68: 14 January 2026
Short Story -- Monkshood Manor: Part 18
Teddy and Mr Millings looked at each other. Then Teddy started, ‘Well, we were sitting down here, in the drawing room. I was facing the glass doors that lead out and Mr Millings was facing me. And as we were taking sandwiches I saw a man storming across the lawn in our direction. Of course, I was worried, so I interrupted Mr Millings, who was preparing to share his notes on the manor, in order to ring for Mr Drey. He, Mr Drey that is, arrived and immediately saw why I rang and headed outside to head off who we then recognised as Lord Tottington. Mr Millings was standing gallantly in front of me’ — Inspector Ferris raised his eyebrows at that description, Mr Millings blushed a little and Mrs Winter gave an amused grin — ‘and we could only hear bits of the conversation… mostly Lord Tottington’s side as he was yelling angrily.’
‘And what bits could you hear?’ Inspector Will asked.
‘A great deal about how we’ll be sorry and some people have no honour and damage to his reputation and the like,’ Teddy recounted.
Mr Millings had been quietly serious throughout Teddy’s retelling, except for the bit about him being gallant.
The Inspector now turned to him, ‘Do you agree with Teddy’s account?’
‘Yes, Inspector.’
‘Anything that you’d add? Perhaps you saw more than Teddy?’
‘Lord Tottington was gesturing quite a bit,’ Mr Millings paused, ‘and he seemed to be trying to get inside. That’s why I kept myself between the doors and Miss Thompson.’
‘We all know Lord Tottington is up to something, Will, and that he’s an absolute tosser!’ Mrs Winter exclaimed. ‘What did you learn when you talked to him a few days ago?’ It was a question spoken as a demand.
‘As you’d expect,’ Inspector Will said, ‘He denied everything.’
‘But that rubbish stalker turned burglar admitted that Lord Tottington hired him to follow Teddy and steal a journal!’ Althea exclaimed.
Mr Millings was learning a lot and was beginning to see why Teddy thought Mrs Winter was such a treasure.
‘Yes, and we’re working on being able to verify that with payments or messages, but so far it’s just his word against Lord Tottington.’
‘Absolute tosser,’ Althea reiterated.
‘And what about you?’ the Inspector queried, eyebrows raised, looking at Mrs Winter. ‘I hear you had tea with a certain housekeeper.’
Althea grinned widely. ‘You keep your ears to the ground. Good boy! And yes, I did.’
‘And?’ asked Teddy.
‘Well, of course Ada knows Lord Tottington is absolute rot. Treats his staff like they’re invisible. But it does mean she’s heard some things while cleaning or lighting fires. For instance, apparently he’s been making quite a few calls to a Mr Berg. I’ve done some digging and it seems that he’s a collector and purveyor of mystical items.’
Mr Millings looked a bit confused by that, especially having seen the entire house just hours ago.
And Will jumped in, ‘And why do you think this Mr Berg is connected.’
‘Just trust me for the moment, Will,’ Althea said. ‘She overheard him telling someone — a lady someone — that he planned to acquire Monkshood Manor soon. And he’s been getting a lot of final notice bills for payments in the mail.’
‘Hmmm,’ Will said pensively. After a pause he continued, ‘If there’s nothing else for either of you to add. I’ll be paying Lord Tottington another visit.’
A round of thank yous and goodbyes was said, and Mr Drey walked Will to the door. The three still in the drawing room could hear the men talking in deep quiet voices, but didn’t bother trying to make out what they were saying.
‘Well, well,’ Mrs Winter concluded standing up. ‘What a day!’ She turned to Mr Millings, ‘What do you say, Mr Milling? Stay for dinner?’
Mr Milling looked thoroughly embarrassed that a housekeeper was inviting him to stay for dinner in front of the lady of the house without asking for her permission.
Teddy, sensing his distress, jumped in, ‘You’re more than welcome, if you’d like.’
Mr Milling looked down at his clothes, smoothing his trousers with his hands. ‘I’m not sure I’m properly attired.’
‘Oh, we’re quite informal here usually,’ Teddy assured him.
‘Or I could dig out something of the late Lord’s?’ Althea offered mischievously.
‘Oh that won’t be necessary,’ both Mr Millings and Teddy exclaimed at once. Then they looked at each other.
Teddy started genuinely laughing, ‘Please. Stay if you’d like. And I assure you that Mrs Winter will do no digging for the late Lord’s dinner wear.’
He hesitated a moment and the smiled himself, ‘Okay then!’
Comments
Post a Comment