Day 45: 22 December 2025

 Journal (written two ways)


Option A: 

This morning we finished our Christmas shopping. Baby fell asleep nestled safely in the Cuddle Bug.

So this evening I wrapped presents, while sitting on the floor and hanging out with my 5mo old listening to Christmas music. Honestly, I’m not sure he was impressed that I was wrapping presents instead of showering him with my undivided attention. But he rolled from his back to his tummy quite a bit, managed to get himself a book and even turn the pages sometimes, and was especially happy when I’d pause between presents to read a story, sing a song with him or play a little. As a result, they are perhaps not as neatly wrapped as some years. But they are wrapped!

They’re also now packed in a manner that would make any Tetris player proud into a large reusable bag. We can’t take them on the airplane in it, but they’re neatly out of the way until suitcase packing time.

All in all, a success!

(Tomorrow, I hope for us to bake some cookies! We’ll see how that adventure goes.)

Option B: 

I sat on the floor next to Little One while he rolled from his back to his tummy and played, Christmas music — the classics sung by the likes of Bing Crosby and Elvis — on in the background and the Christmas tree on behind us. I had organized the presents into piles by person in front of me and to my right.

Just before, Little One and I had brought up the three tubes of wrapping paper, a roll of cellotape that I had to cut into wrapping sized pieces, and a pair of scissors.

To be honest, Little One wasn’t sure how he felt about me wrapping presents. He’d have preferred me just play with him and read to him. But I paused between piles of gifts to roll him back onto his back or get his toy or pick him up and give him a quick cuddle. He was, however, fairly interested in the background video of the Christmas music playlist I’d found on YouTube. It was a park scene with snow following.

The presents are wrapped quite as neatly this year as they might usually be, since I was also focused on keeping an eye on Little One.

But all of the presents are wrapped! So… success!

Now they are sitting off to the side in the living room tucked in a manner any Tetris player would be proud of into a large reusable bag.

Of course, we can’t take them to the airport or fly with them in that, but they are safe until we pack our suitcases.

Next Christmas mission: baking Christmas cookies with Little One tomorrow. At 5mo old only, I don’t expect he’ll get a lot out of it. But he enjoys watching food and, if nothing else, sitting in his swing in the kitchen while I cook, bake or do dishes.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 21: 28 November 2025

Day 15: 22 November 2025

Day 1: 8 November 2025