Day 41: 18 December 2025
Poem -- Dear 4am, Love A Tired Mom
Hello 4am,
It’s me again.
Baby woke up at 3:30am
Crying.
Nappies were changed.
Food was procured
and eaten.
Now he’s sleeping in my arms
his hand reaching across my chest
and up towards my neck.
He’s so long now
that his legs cascade down my right side
feet resting gently on the bed next to me.
He looks peaceful, serene.
And looking at him
fills my heart with so much love.
But now I’m awake.
He’s wanted me to hold him,
sitting up,
while he sleeps
so often at night recently.
My body has decided it has to be
really tired before I can (go back to) sleep
sitting up.
And I don’t want him to wake up for the day
at 4:30am
at 5am.
We’re aiming for at least 6am;
something after 6:30am would be even better.
And he sleeps better in my arms.
So here I am:
Sitting up in bed,
Holding him,
And scrolling on my phone
At 4am.
It’s so quiet
at 4am.
And dark.
Because it is winter now
and it gets dark early
and stays dark late.
All I hear is:
the whir of the fan
and the gentle, rhythmic breathing of my husband,
and occasionally a swallow from baby.
I am waiting for the day this phase will pass.
When 3:30 am
or 4am
or 4:30am
or even 5 or 5:30am
won’t seem like a good time to wake up
to him.
Until then,
I’ll be here.
Sitting up in the glow of the nightlight
(and probably also a screen),
holding him,
and scrolling
(or sometimes reading on my Kindle)
at 4am.
Until tomorrow then,
I guess.
Comments
Post a Comment