Day 4: 11 November 2025
Short Story -- The Meeting of Birds
Four birds sat on the ridge of a roof.
To any observer, they looked identical. Even up close most would be hard pressed to tell them apart. But each bird came from a different corner of the world and on a different wind.
‘What news?’ asked South, the gentlest of the four, to the other three.
‘I have flown far,’ said North. ‘And I have seen much misery and sadness. The world is in quite a state with its wars and arguments.’ By the end of this statement, it was clear that he was getting angry.
‘I have flown from even further,’ said East. ‘And I, too, have witnessed the atrocities of men. But I have also seen their resilience and strength. I have seen that some will stand and fight this evil and it brings me hope.’
‘I, too, have flown over many cities,’ said West. ‘And, like East, I have found many reasons to hope. More reasons to hope than to despair.’ West paused while her companions took in what she shared. Then she continued, ‘And what of yourself South?’
South paused and contemplated her answer. Finally, she said, ‘I, too, have flown far. And although the evil of the world that I have witnessed gives me great sadness. The humanity I have seen fills my heart with joy and peace.’
North jumped in, ‘So we have all seen much evil and wickedness in the world then? Can the goodness and humanity outweigh the evil though?’
All four birds sat in silence for a few minutes, each reflecting on what they have observed in their travels.
Then West answered, ‘I cannot speak for the others, but for my part, I think there is hope.’
East picked up the point and carried on, “I agree. Although some people would try to overthrow and control or obliterate others, there are whole masses of individuals who are willing to stand up and even die to protect their homes and their loved ones. They have a strong purpose, so they will not easily give up or be conquered. This gives me hope.’
South added, ‘It is true. Even when it is not nation against nation, but one group against another, I have seen many who will defend those being spoken and acted against.’
North sighed, ‘I think perhaps you are all a bit deluded. As long as there are more than one group, there will be fighting and wars, there will be discrimination. There will always be a distrust and sometimes even hate for that which is different.’
South blinked and looked at North. ‘We are so different, you and I, that most would consider us opposites,’ she said. ‘Do you hate me?’
North scoffed, ‘We are not the same. Only humans can loathe and despise each other to an extent that war and crimes of injustice are considered right.’
West countered, ‘But many humans do not revile difference. Some even celebrate it!’
South added, ‘Many, even in conflict, are simply trying to support who they see as right. It is sad that they often don’t have all the facts to make educated decisions and even when they do, they can be guided as much by fear as by information.’
North scowled. ‘Yes, guided by fear. Fear and money. No one is as greedy as mankind.’
‘Perhaps not,’ ceded West. ‘But not all of them are so greedy. Look at the people who run charities, who donate their time or clothes or food to help others. Look at artists and poets who want to make the world a more beautiful place. Look at hikers who step out into nature simply to be surrounded by its magnificence.’
The four birds knew that they would never completely agree about the humans, for it is a populous species made up of such variety that it would be difficult to put the whole of it into one box and neatly label it.
‘We will see each other at the next changing of the seasons,’ South said. And the others agreed.
Four birds sat on the ridge of a roof.
And then all at once, but in no rush, they all took flight.
Comments
Post a Comment